Thursday, October 20, 2011

iPhone 4s Day 5: More apps, more "Siri" & a lesson learned

Another short update. I got Isandro to school way late today. Part Isandro eating slower than hell, part an accident on 285. Please allow me a moment to rant: if you get into an accident and nobody is injured PLEASE MOVE YOUR FUCKING CAR OUT OF TRAFFIC. I believe that is Georgia law but I could be making that up because of the fender bender that added 20 min to Isandro and my commute.

Sorry, one more rant. I take the scenic route from Starbucks to my job (for reasons I will not divulge as I think you still like me) and I pass through one of the richer neighborhoods in the city. There is the world's worst dead spot for Sprint in that area so I normally forget when I'm on conference calls and get dropped every time. On Monday I did not have a call but I looked at the bars on the phone and they went down but not away like they did on the Pre. Today I had a call and it dropped even though there was a bar left. Some of you may recall way back when Apple got in trouble because their signal strength algorithm wasn't the most truthful depiction of what was really going on? Mark this down, I called it first!

I used my Starbucks app to get my coffee today. Worked like a charm. Work was crazy busy today so no playing with the phone until I got off. I paid for two apps (Flashlight and Alarm Clock) and downloaded a boatload more (Shazam and SoundHound: music identifying software, IMDB, UrbanSpoon: restaurant locator, CNBC RT: stock ticker, Flixster, Amazon and Target). Ok, it seemed like a bunch more before I typed it out, my apologies for getting your hopes up.

"Siri" and I are becoming text sending bandits. She still won't tell me where she lives and just wants to be friends though. I won't give up yet, as one of my theories in life is that a person can only say no a finite number of times before they're like "ok, just this once." Not sure if that applies to AI though...

Almost forgot the lesson learned. Double tapping the Home button gives you all the apps you've opened recently. Not really news, but what I didn't know is that having programs down there, while making it faster to launch them, are actively eating up resources, and consequently battery. If you press and hold one of the icons for a couple seconds, they will start to do that shaky thing and will have red "x" badges on the top left corner of the icon. Hit the red x to close the app and save battery. You can thank me later, preferably with alcohol.

Today's Pre vs iPhone battle will be speed. iPhone wins. Imagine Mike Tyson vs Peter McNeeley. Even when my Pre was over-clocked, it wasn't as smooth as this.

Aight, tomorrow will be here in 4 hours. I'm out!

2 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of alarm clock. Siri for replying and sending texts is working great for me as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alarm Clock is working well for me too. My only complaint is that I expected the LED when I shook the phone and instead got the white screen "flashlight". I haven't quite figured out how to send the message with Siri in one command. She'll either miss the recipient or the message. I think I'm close though.

    ReplyDelete