Saturday, October 29, 2011

iPhone 4s Day 14: A little Waze, a little ass kicking

I was feeling very unmotivated at work today. It was just two of us at Wings Friday, so I switched up and got some lemon pepper wings today.



It was a good change of pace. By the end of the day I had actually accomplished a good bit. I'm still going to log on after this and attempt to get a bit more done though.

I lied about Waze. I said it didn't do TTS and it definitely pronounced the street and highway names today. I believe I also discovered that there are multiple servers doing different things for Waze. There appears to be a server for the map tiles, one for the social networking/road conditions/traffic, and one for routing. The first two seem to work ok, but they aren't pushing that much data in reality. The routing server appears to get bogged down, and will take a long time to get you a route if, for example, you try to get a route in a major city during rush hour. Luckily my route was home, but it just sat there and spun until I was almost halfway home before it finally loaded the route. One of the interesting things about Waze is the ability to create roads on the map that don't exist. I'm going to attempt to create the parking lot at my job and see if it works. Since I see no ads, I'm assuming Waze makes their money by selling their maps and possibly traffic info to the big guys. But I digress. If you can live with potentially not being able to get a route at peak times, then Waze is great. Otherwise pay $10 for an app with a little more reliability, or $50 for an app with the maps already on your phone.

I did my first Nike Training Club workout at home. If you haven't used this app, it basically mimics my life in that a woman commands me to do stuff, and I do it whether I like it or not. Because I'm not the smartest dude out there, I chose the Intermediate (AKA the hardest) setting for the workout I was doing. I also don't have the proper equiment. You need a medicine ball. I have a soccer ball. You need light weights. I only have one 25 lbs. dumbbell (why I only have one is a long story I may or may not cover in the future). The other reason is I want one of those Bowflex SelectTech dumbbell sets, but I refuse to pay more than $200 and even used they're commanding $300 or more. Anyway, my ass was thoroughly kicked. The workouts are very quick paced. You switch excerices very quickly. Obviously at the harder levels, your breaks are less. The one thing I noticed today though that I hadn't noticed when doing these at work, is that I think this program is geared toward women. I still got a good cardio workout, and the extra weight made it even more challenging. I'd been slacking on getting the 4 - 5 workouts a week I want, and I think this may motivate me to acheive that.

Does anyone know how to attach a picture to an email without having to start the email from the Photos app? I had an email all typed out and could not figure out a way to attach a picture. I had to cut the paragraph I wrote, go to the Photos app, open the picture, pick the option to email it, and then an email opened with the picture that I could then paste my words to. Does this also mean I cannot attached random files? On a slightly different note I need a document editing suite. Any suggestions?

Aight, time to get some work done. I also have a computer repair appointment in the morning. Maybe I should go to bed instead. Time to flip a coin...

2 comments:

  1. Not sure what e-mail app you are using, but if I write an e-mail via my Xfinity app using my Comcast account I can write an e-mail and then click the + sign to add an attachment. Does not seem to be an option, however, in the mail app that handles my gmail account and I think that's the app that came with my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be the regular Mail app. I'll go around digging for a better one.

    ReplyDelete