Tuesday, October 18, 2011

iPhone 4s Day 3: Good Times and Naughty "Siri"

I did not get Isandro to school on time. Mostly my fault, but partially the lady who wasn't paying attention and rear ended (more like up-ended) the car in front of her on Covington Hwy. Oh well. I tried a new coffee at Starbucks at the behest of a couple of the barristas who decided that me only getting white chocolate mochas was not cool. So I got a salted caramel white chocolate mocha, which if you like sweet coffee, imagine drinking kettle corn flavored coffee. They made a convert of me. While I was there, I downloaded the Starbucks app. It is pretty cool in that the next time I'm there I should be able to show them my phone instead of pulling out my Starbucks card for payment. It also has a store finder which I hope is more accurate than Google Maps which has lead me to a defunct Starbucks on more than one occasion.

Anywho, I've purchased my second paid app, which was Feeddler. It's an RSS feed reader, and the most expensive app I've bought to date on any mobile platform ($5). It claims to be the best RSS reader, which since I don't plan on buying another RSS reader, I'll never know, but it is working as expected. It would be nice if some of the people I'm following would post some new stuff so I can see how it renders their posts (hint hint).

The other app I installed today was Good for Enterprise. I haven't had mobile access to my work email in over two years since Good never put out a version that supported the Pre and my company would rather pay for Good servers than get M$ Exchange ActiveSync working for free. Yes I did suggest that when they had a contest for money saving ideas and I'm still a little bitter it wasn't selected. While I understand that getting work emails when not at work sounds silly, I like being able to sift through the ridiculous amounts of email I get without being at my laptop and it also allows me to have a heads up with stuff happening before I get in. It too works as expected and actually saves me from buying a conference call dialer app, so I'll put that dollar to another app, most likely a flashlight or alarm clock app.

A friend told me I should try talking dirty to "Siri" and see the funny responses I get back. I'll spare you (and myself) the embarrassment of recounting my attempt to have phone sex with artificial intelligence, but the funniest one was when I asked her what she was wearing to which "Siri" replied "why does everyone ask me that?"

I also got a request to list the apps I've gotten so far. It was easier for me to take screen shots, so I'll do that and point out a few of them.



The first one to note is the Blogger app, from which this entire post was written. If you have a long post like this one, just wait until you are near a computer. I also don't know where the screen shots will end up. The Xfinity TV app would replace the crappy remote the cable box came with if I could have it start recorded shows. Looking at the tv guide and changing the channel on the app is way better than doing it with the remote. I have yet to try the Netfix app. Might give it a whirl if I ever finish this post. I haven't tried video chatting on Skype so I'm not sure what the video quality is like. The FB app and the FB Messenger app should be one app. Same goes for the ING Direct and the Free ATM apps.

Ok, tired of typing on this keyboard although I do feel this was good practice. My Pre vs iPhone thought of the day is programs running in the background. I feel like the iPhone does more of a save state when an app is in the background whereas the Pre had apps that were actually working in the background. Not the end of the world, just have to get used to it. That also could have been part of the Pre's battery life issues now that I think if it. Give and take they say...

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I wanted to know the naughty responses hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying following your iPhone discussions so I will be "ready" when I get mine!! And I will try to come up with something to blog about so you can see if the RSS feed is working the way you want it to. :)

    ReplyDelete