Sunday, October 16, 2011

iPhone 4s Day 1: App-alooza, crazy battery life & Siri vs "Siri"

As I predicted, at 2 AM I got upstairs and attempted to download some apps. The App Store kept telling me I needed to verify my account before being able to download, but it kept saying that it sent it to a mac.com email address that I must have set up ages ago. In my sleepiness, I didn't realize that the mac.com address is just my account name and the verifications went to my Hotmail account. Now before you go ape-shit over the fact that Hotmail is still my primary email provider, my major change in mobile OS is probably going to jumpstart the move to Gmail as the primary. The other thing is that apparently since I have this mac.com address as my account name, it cannot be changed. I could create a new App Store account, but I figure as long as I don't continue to freak out when I see the mac.com address, I'll be ok.

Fast forward to 8 AM and I've verified my account and the app downloading begins. The first app to be downloaded was Facebook, followed by Twitter. After poking around with them for a bit, I get my first phone call, from Siri. Now the explanation. My sister-in-law's nickname is Siri. So from here on out, when you see Siri, it's a live human being who calls me when she is lost going somewhere, which is about once every other month or so. When you see "Siri" it's the supposedly wonderful AI interface. I say "supposedly" because I have yet to get an answer from her, but I'll cover that later. While I'm talking to Siri (whose call was very clear on speakerphone, since the screen protection covered the earpiece), I hear Fernando, my 9 month old, who is also known as He-Who-Wakes-When-Pin-Drops, starting to stir. My 4 year old, Isandro, has taken a liking to a book with Native American legends in them, and every character seems to get a new name by the end, so after reading the stories for the hundredth time, my boys got new Native American-esque names as well. I took this opportunity to take my first pictures with the phone, whose Camera app loads and snaps faster than my Pre just loading its Camera app. So I introduce to you He-Who-Wakes-When-Pin-Drops:


Please excuse the tears. He is very emotional when he realizes he's trapped in his crib. Unfortunately the crappy screen protection covers the lens and the flash, so my first pictures probably didn't come out as nicely as they could have. Actually any pics with flash did not come out at all. So after I change the world's worst smelling diaper and get him out of his pajamas, we go to see He-Who-Sleeps-Through-Natural-Disasters:


He finally wakes up after Fernando finishes his inspection of his brother's room and shouts his approval as only a baby can. We eat some breakfast and decide to go out to the Avondale Estates Art Alliance AutumnFest. While out there, I'm downloading every app imaginable. Every one of my financial institutions had an app (a couple were missing in the Android Market, and the Pre only had one app). I downloaded ESPN apps, Comcast apps, Netflix, Google apps, and every other free and potentially useful app I could find. I took a few pictures while out there. Here is one:


We finish with the art festival, we go home, the boys take a nap, and I continue my app downloading. My phone case and real screen protectors arrived as well, which was a little surprise. Here is the case I got. Fits nicely and makes me a little less paranoid. I've started watching the Georgia Tech game and at around 6 PM, I get the 20% battery left message. Mind you, I've been going almost non-stop on this thing downloading, surfing and making phone calls. My Pre would have died twice by now. Oh I forgot about pairing my Jawbone Icon with it. Pairing wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but what was cool was that there is a Bluetooth earpiece icon in the top bar with a battery meter in it.

So I thought I would get to tinker with the phone some more, but it was Siri's birthday, so we went out to dinner and then a club and now it's 4 AM. Tomorrow is going to be a long day. My final complaint for Day 2 is: If you are going to sell a product that you know will sell out, and your most innovative feature requires connecting to a server, then you should make sure you have the bandwidth and/or resources to accommodate it so that "Siri" won't keep telling me how she can't connect. Biatch!

Tomorrow comes a paid app or two pending I get time.

6 comments:

  1. Financial institutions? You are over there sounding financially savvy...should you be sharing this information with you not so financially savvy and definitely not independently wealthy sister??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're liking it so far. I've thought about it a number of times just because of the wide support that the iPhone has.

    I only use one banking app that allows me to make a deposit from my phone. After your post, I downloaded the Wells Fargo appp, but I don't see much difference between that and the mobile web version.

    For the cases, I got Mandy the Otterbox. Its great! She can virtually drop it off a mountain and it should be OK. And it comes with a screen protector, not that I use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you install Twitter when it's integrated into iOS5?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Glamour: I'm far from financially savvy. I just have a bunch of bank accounts because they offered me something at one point or another to open them and I never closed them. For example, one is a credit union that allowed me to get a 25% discount on my Sprint bill. I am experimenting with the stock market, but still definitely an experiment.

    @Dave: What I like about the banking apps as opposed to the web apps is that it cuts out the step of opening the browser and then clicking a link. I guess I could put a shortcut for the web version on a launcher page, didn't think of that until just now. I also like that the apps give you the option to store the user name, and the web versions, at least on my Pre, did not. The Otterbox just seemed way too big to me, but as you said, it can probably stand way more than this Case-Mate can. Hopefully I won't have any crazy drops...

    @Simply: The only thing I've found is I can tweet a URL from within Safari. I assume with "Siri" I can probably say "Tweet blah blah blah" and it'd do it. I'll try that shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When did you ever have an Android phone? Epic story so far, sir! Lookin forward to the next part. I am glad that you are liking it so far... (you do like it, right, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Swashbuckla: I have never owned an Android phone. My sister's phone is the closest I've been to one. I've played with a few when waiting in Sprint stores but that's about it. I am liking it, or it is growing on me, but either way it's looking less likely like I'd return it.

    @Simply: "Siri" told me "I cannot help you with Twitter." So I'm still not sure where this integration is at. I guess I'll have to search for it.

    ReplyDelete