Monday, October 24, 2011

iPhone 4s Day 9: Yarn-apalooza and good eats

Another long but good day. We spent most of the day an the fiber festival, where Isandro marveled at all things knitting and Fernando rode in style on my back (see picture somewhere on this post, stupid app). We also checked out alpacas, llamas, and sheep. The sheep were extra ornery this year so we didn't stay long. We couldn't find any goats or rabbits either this year. No big loss, two less smelly animals to check out.

I experienced my first random reboot today. We were going to eat at the Tupelo Honey Cafe in downtown Asheville and we had to park a little ways down from the restaurant, so I pulled out my phone and started up Google Maps to do a pedestrian route. In the middle of the route, the screen goes black and the Apple logo shows up. I won't complain too much, since I can't count the number of reboots I had with my Pre in the first 10 days. Fortunately my wife remembered where the restaurant was so we got there to find out there was a 90 minute wait. We promptly walked back to the truck and went to the Tupelo Honey Cafe South, which was a lot closer to the town house anyhow. We wanted to see downtown Asheville and we got to do that, just a lot quicker. By the way, the food at that restaurant was FANTASTIC. We will definitely visit it again the next time we're in town.

With the amount of navigating I did today, the battle today is about navigation. The Pre wins this one, but only because Palm was nice enough to let Sprint put their own turn-by-turn navigation app on it. I'm guessing Apple said hell no. I think Android devices have turn-by-turn directions in Google Maps. Apple wants you to follow a dot on the Maps app or pay the equivalent of 5 lap dances for TomTom. It appears I can also get TeleNav for a 1 lap dance a year subscription. I will probably wait and see if Sprint creates a free app like AT&T did.

Aight, time to turn my out of office message on for a couple days even though, like right now, I'm still working. It just means no one can officially bother me. Holla!

3 comments:

  1. Curly guys with horns to the left of the arena, past the Jacobs & Shetlands & everything else, were Angora goats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those names mean nothing to me. So they were with the sheep, or were they in a corral thingy like the alpacas and llamas? If they were with the sheep, I misidentified them. I'm sure Isandro will correct me if he sees picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Android comes with Google Navigation. Free Turn-By-Turn with voice. It also shows a picture of the house/business you're navigating too when you reach your destination. For me, that's enough of a reason to purchase an Android-based device.

    I'm still enjoying the iPhone vs. [plastic] Pre battles :)

    ReplyDelete