Tuesday, November 15, 2011

iPhone 4s Day 31: The Final Countdown

I was going to make this post solely about my first 30 full days with the iPhone, and do some last comparisons, and have an epic conclusion, but I have to start out with this: I woke up 45 minutes late today. I still managed to get Isandro and I out of the house just 2 minutes later than I did on Friday. To recap in case you didn't read that post, I left the house at 8:15 and got Isandro to school at 8:45, which is 15 minutes early. Today I left the house at 8:17, and got to school at 9:07, which if your math and reading comprehension is at a GED level, is 7 minutes late. I do realize that Friday was a banking holiday, but even still, both 285 and 85 had issues which messed up the surface streets even worse than usual. FMMFL (the extra "MF" is for emphasis).

I have talked to a few converts to iPhones, and it's weird how we all had the same summary about it:  "It just works." That's the main thing. I've only had one random reboot in the month. The Pre had a few a week, including the picture debacle where I had one picture from my Treo 700P that caused the Pre to literally lock up as soon as I transferred it onto the phone. That picture was the cause of two returned Pres. I had been without an insane selection of apps for so long that I thought I didn't need them. It just turns out I didn't have them. I'm already at near double the amount of apps I had on the Pre, and none of them are fart apps or pictures of some insanely hot chick apps. It's blazingly fast. I don't have much experience with Android phones but the ones I messed with weren't this fast or responsive. I have a friend that would call me a clone, but I see why the masses like this thing. When people around me were sending group MMS messages, I had no idea I was only responding to the sender. Now I'm in the convo like everyone else. It seems like everything is made for the iPhone first, and everything else second. It feels nice to be included. It also feels nice not to have to mess with the phone. Sure there is some customization I missing be able to do, but it works so well that I can live without them. The only thing I'm considering jailbreaking the phone for the mod that puts wifi and bluetooth buttons in the Notifications dropdown instead of having to dig through the Settings app. I was the outsider for 2.5 years, and while I still love the Pre, I held on to it way longer than I should have, like a significant other where the sex was good and everything else was crappy. I use that analogy a lot, I'm going to have to think of another one.

I've gone over my negatives throughout this time, but the two I'm still having an issue with are the size and the virtual keyboard. Every time I think I've gotten over the size, I'll have it in my pocket and sit down, and swear the thing is going to snap in two. The Pre fit in the change pocket on most of my jeans. If I stuck the Pre in the same pocket as my wallet (I keep my wallet in my front pocket, chiropractor said so), it didn't cause an issue. This monstrosity needs its own pocket. It doesn't play well with my wallet or even my keys. I see why people keep it in their back pocket, but that is a risk I'm not willing to take. I feel like I bump it against everything. I have AppleCare, but I'd obviously rather not have to use it. The virtual keyboard sucks, plain and simple. The autocorrect helps a little, but it's not the same as being able to touch physical keys. My typing must have slowed down by half. That could be the only thing that would drive me to Android, but it'd have to be a portrait slider, which there aren't too many options for. A landscape slider would make my typing just as slow.

So I like the thing. I admit it. I also knew I'd like it, but I would have liked anything newer than what I had. I should have switched to something else, probably after 1.5 years, especially since I had yearly upgrades at the time. That was one of the first solid clues that Sprint was getting an iPhone, they killed the Premier program, where you got things like yearly upgrades for spending x amount of money or being a customer for 10+ years, which I qualified for both. I thought they were going to kill the unlimited plan, but that seems to be the only thing they have over the other two. Well their plans are generally cheaper, but their coverage is generally suckier. Is suckier a word? I'm going to try it in Words with Friends.

Lastly, would I recommend it to someone? Yes, especially if you're on AT&T where you can get a 3Gs for free if you just want the experience of an iPhone, but don't plan on storing lots of music or data intensive apps on it. If you want to customize or tinker, go with Android. I don't think I've mentioned Windows Mobile at all during these 30 days. Much like the Pre, I hear good things but have yet to see anyone with one. Windows has more money pushing it, as shown by the empty Windows Stores popping up next to Apple Stores the fire marshall should check occupancy on. And no Blackberry mention either, they're dying a slow painful death.

Oh man, I didn't mention what I think of  "Siri". "Siri" is still a little gimmicky to me, but slightly useful, especially for texting or dialing without touching the phone. You have to speak perfect English for the stuff you see her do in the commercial. Don't let my SAT score fool you, my English is far from perfect.

Ok, that's it for real. I'll continue to post random stuff, just not everyday. It was fun though, which is why I'll continue doing it. Thanks for following these 30 days, and stay tuned for whatever my perverted mind comes up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment