Wednesday, October 7, 2015

iPhone 6s Day 2: Accessories

So I've had a full day to play with this thing (TWSS), and it's doing fine. I'm getting used to the bigger size, but I'm refusing to like it. What I am not getting used to is the power button being moved. Why does Apple do things like that? First it was the headphone jack, and now the power button. I keep hitting the top of the phone and cursing when the screen won't turn on. Battery life seems to be a bit better than on my 5s, even though I have some extra features turned on currently. I have the "Hey Siri" feature turned on, and fortunately my sister-in-law doesn't live nearby or I would set it off quite frequently. "Siri" (remember my sister-in-law was first, so she doesn't get quotes for her name) is answering and dictating better, though I haven't tried the word "lime" yet. The pressure sensitive screen seems a bit gimmicky currently, but I think they'll find better uses for it. I'm not sure why I'd want to preview an email. Either I open it or ignore it. Previewing URLs in emails or texts seems a bit more useful. I think there's a feature to make the screen move down to assist with the phone being unnecessarily big, but I haven't figured it out yet. I should Google it. I went for a run with it in my pocket and it seemed ridiculously obtrusive, so when I got back, the hunt for accessories began.

Since I am planning to go with a Lifeproof case (which from what I've read, a fre case for an iPhone 6 will fit a 6s, but it will be a bit snug, which could take away from some of the protective features), I looked into their armband first. I had a Lifeproof armband for my 5s, which was a crazy large clamp around the phone. It worked fine but always got bumped when I went through doorways or around workout equipment. Lifeproof's current armband employs a connector that you stick to the back of the case, and then this allows you to quickly connect and disconnect to a variety of accessories (hence the name Quickmount). I won't stick a bumper sticker to my truck, so there's no way I'm sticking anything to my phone cover. Fortunately my search for an alternative led me to a familiar place. Back when I had a Palm Pre, I used a Tune Belt arm band to hold it when I worked out. Tune Belt has a band that will work with the Lifeproof case on, It's already ordered and should be here Friday. I still foresee bumping into everything with it, but at least it'll be heavily protected when it occurs.

Minor annoyance of the day is that it appears most of my Bluetooth accessories will need to be re-paired. My Fitbit did not need to be re-paired, but my Plantronics Backbeat Fit headphones did. Have not tried the Jawbone yet. There are like 3 or 4 other devices, so we'll see how those fare at a later time.

Day 2 of Hell also didn't go too badly. The flooring folks couldn't do anything today because it was still too wet (shut it!), so this evening we could go upstairs and grab some extra stuff. The floor looks amazing though. I'll take a picture tomorrow. The sweet tea vodka was cracked open today, that probably helped a bit. Aight, time to go to bed while there is still time to go to bed. Hasta manana...

No comments:

Post a Comment