Saturday, September 28, 2013

iPhone 5s Day 2: iOS7 rocks your face!!!

told you all I was quitting at midnight last night, but that was a lie, because I can't help myself. My phone was activated at some point after midnight because I called my home phone successfully, but the bastards at AT&T couldn't be bothered to send the confirmation email. I'm glad I wasn't actually waiting for them. 

I figured out, unfortunately after the fact, that if your backup isn't encrypted, you will have to reenter your login information into most of your apps. That was close to a hundred apps for me. I'll keep that in mind for the next restore.

The phone is fast as hell. 4G is quicker than 3G for sure, but I'm not sure if it's as fast as the wireless companies make it out to be. I'll run some further tests when I get back to the house.

My first "I miss Sprint" moment was this afternoon. I initially set up my account for 300MB, thinking that would hold me over until my job takes my account over. By 2PM this afternoon, AT&T sent a text saying I was 65% through the 300MB. Granted I am out of town and using Waze for my GPS needs heavily, but I used to laugh at people who had to monitor their data usage. Now I am one of them. 

But the main highlight for me is iOS7. This ish is amazing. I don't understand how people hate it. Apple basically stole things from Android and webOS to make their OS better. I'll highlight a few:

1.  Quick access panel: with a flick from the bottom of most screens, you have quick access to toggle wifi, Bluetooth, airplane mode, do not disturb, portrait orientation lock, screen brightness, music player, flashlight, calculator, camera, clock, and Airdrop. I have no real idea what Airdrop does, I should look that up. But an Android phone has been able to do most of those functions forever, and a WebOS phone could do them with a simple tweak. This was the only reason I considered jailbreaking my phone, and now there doesn't appear to be a need.


2. Cards: the quick launch has been transformed into webOS cards. As one of the few people who stuck with webOS until I was forced out, this feels like rough sex, where it hurts and feels good at the same time. However, it only hurts because no one will realize where they got it from. But double tap the Home button and you'll see your open apps. Swipe left and right to see the apps, and swipe up to you close them, instead of the old "jiggly mode."


3.  Pages within folders: I worked really hard to keep all my apps limited to two pages. Even with folders, it was starting to get hard to continue that recently since you could only have a certain number of apps per folder. Now that there are pages within the folders, I'm comfortably in two pages. I can't understand people that have pages and pages of apps. How do you find anything?


4. Auto update: are you telling me that I no longer have to go into the App Store app, go to Updates, and then tap Update All? The phone will now just automagically update apps when they need to be updated? I guess they stole that from Micro$oft, but I'll take it. I cleared my screen before I could take a pic, but here is an example from someone I follow on Twitter:


That's all I've discovered so far. The only negative I have with the 5s currently is battery life. Like I said earlier, this weekend with my limited wifi access and heavy GPS usage is probably not an accurate measurement of what my actual usage will be like, so I'll come back to that topic later next week when I'm back to normal.

 Please forgive any typos in the post. I've been drinking heavily on top of doing the blog post from my phone...



No comments:

Post a Comment